(Reuters) – For the first time, humans will visit the deepest part of each of the five oceans, plunging to the sea floor using a two-person craft designed to withstand the intense pressures more than 5.5 miles (9 km) below the surface.
The project, known as Five Deeps Expedition, will use a special submersible vehicle that took more than three years to build. It is made of titanium and other special materials that can dive to the bottom of the ocean, said Victor Vescovo, an explorer who will pilot the vehicle after it leaves its supporting boat and descends toward the deepest parts of the ocean.
“I’m very much looking forward to pushing not only the limits of the technology and myself and my crew, but also hopefully push humanity forward a little bit in terms of our understanding of our world and showing what we can do as a species,” said Vescovo, who has climbed the world’s seven highest mountain peaks and trekked to both the North and South Poles.
The maker of the submersible vehicle, Triton Submarines LLC of Vero Beach, Florida, said on the company website that it is the only submersible certified to carry humans on dives of 36,000 feet (11,000 meters). Discovery and Science Channel will capture the entire mission for a project known as “Deep Planet” that will air in 2019.
Reporting by Jessica Resnick-Ault in New York; Editing by David Gregorio
FRANKFURT (Reuters) – Car parts maker ZF Friedrichshafen said on Friday it acquired a 35 percent stake in ASAP, a Germany-based maker of software and testing systems for autonomous driving applications and electric vehicles.
ASAP specializes in car-to-x communication, human-machine interfaces and electronic architecture and last year generated sales of 84 million euros. It employs 1,100 staff.
ZF’s Chief Executive Officer Wolf-Henning Scheider recently said ZF will invest about 12 billion euros in electromobility and autonomous driving over the next five years.
A purchase price for the ASAP stake was not disclosed.
Reporting by Arno Schuetze, editing by Riham Alkousaa
Police in Turkey investigating the alleged killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi have expanded their search, reports say.
Unnamed Turkish officials say his body may have been disposed of in a nearby forest or on farmland.
Mr Khashoggi disappeared after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on 2 October, where Turkish officials allege he was murdered.
Saudi Arabia denies any knowledge of what happened to him.
Samples taken from the Saudi consulate and the consul’s residence during searches this week are being tested for a match with Mr Khashoggi’s DNA.
Separately, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo strongly denied having listened to an audio recording Turkey says is evidence of Mr Khashoggi’s murder.
“I’ve heard no tape, I’ve seen no transcript,” he said.
Mr Pompeo also strongly criticised ABC News, which had earlier quoted a senior Turkish official as saying that he had been given access to the recording.
“This is wrong to do to the fiancé of Khashoggi,” he added. “This is a very serious matter that we’re working diligently on, and so to put out headlines that are factually false does no one any good.”
Turkey has previously said it has audio and video evidence of Mr Khashoggi’s murder, but these have not been made public.
The incident has caused considerable strain between Riyadh and its Western allies, with US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and UK International Trade Secretary Liam Fox becoming the latest senior figures to pull out of a major investment conference in Riyadh next week.
The summit is being hosted by Saudi Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman to promote his reform agenda.
However, Saudi Arabia says reports on Mr Khashoggi’s death are “completely false and baseless” and that it is “open to co-operation” to find out what happened.
Several high-profile human rights groups have demanded that Turkey ask the UN to investigate the possible killing of Mr Khashoggi.
On Wednesday and Thursday, Turkish investigators spent almost nine hours searching the Saudi consul’s residence, before moving on to the consulate itself about 200m (650ft) away, according to Reuters news agency.
Several vehicles with Saudi diplomatic number plates were filmed by CCTV cameras moving from the consulate to the residence just under two hours after Mr Khashoggi entered the consulate.
How have other countries reacted?
Saudi Arabia is a key ally to many Western countries, especially the US. As one of the world’s biggest oil exporters, it has significant influence on the world stage.
The Dutch and French finance ministers, and the head of the International Monetary Fund, are amongst those now boycotting the summit.
On Thursday Donald Trump told reporters it “certainly looks” like Mr Khashoggi is dead, adding “it’s very sad”.
He said there would be “very severe” consequences if Saudi Arabia was proved to have killed the journalist.
However, Mr Trump has also been accused of providing cover to the Saudi government.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has said it is a pity that Mr Khashoggi has gone missing, but that Russia cannot damage relations with Saudi Arabia without hard facts.
Who is Jamal Khashoggi?
Mr Khashoggi is a prominent journalist who has covered major stories for various Saudi news organisations.
He served as an adviser to top Saudi officials, but later fell out of favour with the government.
He went into self-imposed exile in the US last year, and wrote a monthly column in the Washington Post.
SEOJournal.co seeks to add a new voice in SEO discussions by providing a peer-reviewed research periodical. While there are a lot of journals providing SEO top ten lists this journal will serve as an academic source. The new journal is already registered with the Library of Congress as a periodical and its first publication is planned in the next several months.
Students and practitioners are welcome to submit various skill levels for beginner audiences to expert data scientist. The journal has two volunteer editors both with Masters of Education and Technology backgrounds. The journal is a non-profit endeavor and will not include advertisements or charge subscriptions.
This is an excellent way to get published and acknowledged outside of the buzzword gallery of blogs. Visit https://seojournal.co to subscribe for upcoming editions or to submit works for inclusion.
Hurricane Florence ravaged the Carolinas last week with a historic amount of rainfall and damage, which left the people affected by the storm to deal with the aftermath this week and for the foreseeable future.
For them, it appears they won’t be undergoing the recovery process alone, with several area programs assisting in donating supplies and holding drives to support the victims of the storm.
Several teams are doing their outreach through hosting on-campus donation drives for clothing, water, food and other essentials.
Let’s all help our fellow North Carolinians in any way we can!
Proud to announce a partnership with @UWNorthCarolina to assist those in need on the coast after Hurricane Florence. I’m hoping my coaching peers can donate to help the people get back on their feet! pic.twitter.com/ZhXmYFEe4S
Other programs have T-shirts for sale that have phrases imprinted such as “One Carolina” or “Carolina Strong.” According to the schools, all proceeds will go to programs such as Habitat for Humanity and other organizations assisting in hurricane relief.
Together, we are Carolina Strong.
100% of net proceeds will support the Rural Prosperity Initiative.
Hurricane Florence canceled or postponed several football, men’s and women’s soccer and volleyball matches the past weekend. Many of the programs that had games canceled are the ones assisting in the relief efforts that are sure to be a long process.
The National Weather Service station in Raleigh announced North Carolina had a cumulative rainfall of 8 trillion gallons throughout the state.
Help @RaginCajuns Athletics send relief supplies back home with Coastal Carolina after this Saturday’s game!
TOKYO (Reuters) – An escalating trade war between the United States and China has dampened manufacturers’ appetite for investment in equipment, causing growth in the industrial robot market to slow, the chief of the global robot industry group said.
Many global manufacturers “are now in a wait-and-see mode, wondering whether to shift production (away from China) to, let’s say, Vietnam or the United States,” said Junji Tsuda, chief of the International Federation of Robotics (IFR), in an interview on Thursday.
IFR, which brings together nearly 60 global robot suppliers and integrators, predicts worldwide industrial robot sales this year to grow 10 percent compared to last year’s 30 percent jump.
China is the world’s largest robots market with a 36 percent global share, with its sales volume exceeding the total of Europe and the Americas combined.
Tsuda, also the chairman of Japan’s Yaskawa Electric Corp, said the manufacturers would move out of the wait-and-see mode by the end of this year.
It will take a while for the direction of the trade war to be clear, Tsuda said. “But global demand for smartphones, semiconductors and autos have been solid, and the time will eventually come that they can wait no longer and will resume investment to meet the demand.”
Yaskawa, one of the world’s top robot manufacturers, last week cut its annual operating profit forecast to 59 billion yen ($524.40 million) from 65.5 billion yen, citing a slowdown in smartphone-related demand in China and growing caution over the trade dispute.
From next year onwards, however, IFR expects the robot market growth to pick up again, forecasting an average 14 percent increase per year through 2021.
($1 = 112.5100 yen)
Reporting by Makiko Yamazaki; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman
Can you really achieve weight loss with apple cider vinegar? This is one of the most common questions I get from people when we talk about supplements is about ACV’s effect on managing a healthier body weight. For some people…it might. But let’s look at the facts, including the pros and cons of adding this sometimes hard-to-swallow vinegar into your diet on a daily basis.
Above all, I’m going to dig into how ACV might be able to help you with weight loss.
Full disclosure – I’m a big fan of apple cider vinegar. Not so much for weight loss, but because of a few other reasons I’ll get to in just a minute. I actually incorporate apple cider vinegar into my famous 3-Day Cleanse dressing in my book, The Belly Burn Plan and recommend people supplement with it everyday. It’s really popular and wouldn’t have been nearly as loved if it didn’t have ACV in it. I’m happy I included it!
Despite its popularity, apple cider vinegar and its effects on weight loss haven’t been studied as much as other foods. In fact, weighing at 3 calories per tablespoon, ACV has negligible nutrition. So how can it be so beneficial?
Let’s start looking into that now.
Weight Loss with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps to improve blood sugar and insulin levels
Many of the studies that have been done have included diabetics and apple cider vinegar’s role in improving blood sugar and insulin levels. Whether you’re a diabetic or not, this is one way ACV can help manage weight loss.
In the column he talks about the importance of a free press in the Middle East.
The newspaper’s Global Opinions editor Karen Attiah said its release had been delayed in the hope that Mr Khashoggi would return safely.
“Now I have to accept: That is not going to happen. This is the last piece of his I will edit for The Post,” she wrote. “This column perfectly captures his commitment and passion for freedom in the Arab world. A freedom he apparently gave his life for.”
What did the last column say?
Mr Khashoggi presented a strong criticism of the state of press freedoms in the Arab world: “The Arab world is facing its own version of an Iron Curtain, imposed not by external actors but through domestic forces vying for power.
“The Arab world needs a modern version of the old transnational media so citizens can be informed about global events. More important, we need to provide a platform for Arab voices.”
He mentioned the case of his fellow Saudi writer, Saleh al-Shehi, who he said “is now serving an unwarranted five-year prison sentence for supposed comments contrary to the Saudi establishment”.
“Such actions no longer carry the consequence of a backlash from the international community,” he wrote. “Instead, these actions may trigger condemnation quickly followed by silence.”
What is Trump’s latest position?
Saudi Arabia is one of Washington’s closest allies and the Khashoggi disappearance is putting the administration in an awkward position.
Confirming that the tape said to provide evidence of the killing had been requested, Mr Trump added: “I’m not sure yet that it exists, probably does, possibly does.”
Mr Trump said he expected a report from Secretary of State Mike Pompeo who has just been to Saudi Arabia and Turkey.
The president said the truth would come out “by the end of the week”.
He rejected suggestions he was trying to provide cover for Saudi Arabia: “No, not at all, I just want to find out what’s happening.”
Over the past few days, Mr Trump has raised the possibility of “rogue killers” being behind the journalist’s disappearance. And he has cautioned against rushing to blame Saudi leaders, telling the Associated Press news agency that they were being treated as “guilty until proven innocent”.
What is reported to be on the recording?
Early on in their inquiry, Turkish investigators said they had evidence that Mr Khashoggi – a critic of Saudi leaders – was murdered.
Reports in Turkish media give gruesome details of what are said to be his final minutes.
Yeni Safak, which is close to the government, quotes him as telling alleged Saudi agents sent to Istanbul: “Do this outside. You’re going to get me in trouble.”
Mr Otaibi flew back to Riyadh on Tuesday.
How is Turkey’s investigation progressing?
On Wednesday and into Thursday, investigators spent almost nine hours searching the Saudi consul’s residence, then moving on to the consulate itself about 200m (650ft) away, according to Reuters news agency.
The team included prosecutors and forensics experts in white overalls.
Several vehicles with Saudi diplomatic number plates were filmed by CCTV cameras moving from the consulate to the residence just less than two hours after Mr Khashoggi entered the consulate on the day he vanished.
The consulate building was searched for the first time on Monday.
On Tuesday, Mr Pompeo was in Riyadh for talks with Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who he said “strongly denied” any involvement in the journalist’s disappearance.
The events of 2 October
Mr Khashoggi is a US resident and columnist for the Washington Post newspaper who went into self-imposed exile last year after reportedly being warned by Saudi officials to stop criticising the crown prince’s policies.
He arrived at the consulate at 13:14 local time for an appointment to obtain paperwork so he could marry his Turkish fiancée.
Saudi officials have insisted Mr Khashoggi left the consulate soon afterwards and came to no harm.
But Turkish officials believe an assault and struggle took place in the building.
They allege that Mr Khashoggi was killed by a team of Saudi agents who were pictured entering and leaving Turkey on CCTV footage released to media outlets.
The New York Times reports that four of the 15 agents have links to Crown Prince Mohammed, while another is a senior figure in the country’s interior ministry.
On Tuesday, G7 foreign ministers called for Saudi Arabia to conduct a “transparent” investigation into the issue.